Hello,

I need to draw a tree of icons and organisation names in my JSP using
organisation names stored in a bean. This is quite a complex tree and each node
needs to be enclosed within its own <table> </table> tags. The tree will be
drawn in different JSPs at different times. I would like to put the presentation
aspects of drawing each tree node into a method which could then be called by
any JSP as many times as there are organisations. The problem I have is this:

I can construct a method which can included in any JSP file and called as and
when necessary:

<%!  public String DrawTree()
     {
     }
%>

This is fine except that any HTML output has to be done using out.println()
statements. It is (unfortunaltely) not possible to do this,

<%!  public void DrawTree()
     {
%>
<%
     }
%>

which would be ideal, becuase its esier to see what going on in the HTML, and
anyway, HTML people are easily put off by Java statements (yes, even
out.println()s). The above example seems simple, but when you have multiple
images displayed which depend on where you are in the tree, you'd rather get
away from out.println()s becuase it becomes a lot more tricky to maintain and an
eyesore.

Is there a way to define (helper) methods in JSP (as you can in ASP) in which
the HTML does not have to be enclosed in out.println() statements. Am I being
stupid or is this an area where ASP has the upper hand over JSP??

Your input would be appreciated.

Patrick.

Tertio Limited  -  One Angel Square,   Torrens Street,   London  EC1V 1NY
Tel: +44 (0)171 843 4000 Fax: +44 (0)171 843 4001 Web http://www.tertio.com
except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Tertio Ltd.