I didn't try this, but here's the approach I would follow.

The servlet can create a public/private key pair and send the public key to
the applet.
The applet uses this key to encrypt the userid-password and sends this to
the servlet.

I guess this is already pretty secure. No one will be able to snoop or
change the password.

BTW. does anybody know if it's secure to use the HTTP login (the popup
window) with https? or is the password still only BASE64 encoded?

Geert 'Darling' Van Damme