depends - is the primary key a shared resource?  usually for this kind of thing it
would be, so the answer in that case is no, you don't get threadsafety for free.

one simple way to ensure that you don't give out the same value to two (or more)
clients is to synchronize the method that you use to give out the keys:

public synchronized int getNextKey(){

    return ++key;
}

which should ensure that you don't get two threads in there at once.

hope this helps,
-bml