One thing JSP provides that would be a benefit to you would be
the Applicaton and Session Beans and the easy implementation
of them. also, JSP does make some things "easier" like indicating
that a JSP page should be "single-threaded" ...
... and stuff like that.
Even though it's all possible in servlets, etc., easy is a nice-to-have!

Here is something we do in JSP that we use:
we have a lot of reference tables that we use to populate HTML
select boxes.

We have an application bean that talks JDBC and that contains a hashtable to
cache all this info in,
so the database is only accessed the first time someone requests the dropdown
box be filled. in JSP, if we call the bean method that populates the select box
with no parameters, it is displayed normally. if we pass in the appropriate
key, from the jsp, then "that" <option> is selected by default in the select
box.
i.e., <option selected>

I'm not sure... is that is possible with the template method you're using but
it saves a lot of code (or should i say, keeps a lot of code out of the JSP file
and puts it in either HTMLUtility classes or Beans or other Toolkit classes?

One other brief thought that could be somewhat consequential: when you're hiring
new
employees to work on your code, it's probably pretty easy to find ASP
programmers
that can immediatly understand what JSP is doing.

Also, we do no form processing in any of our JSP pages. A JSP page always calls
a servlet which processes the form and redirects to another JSP page.
This also provides many many benefits beyond not mixing Java and HTML.

Frank