Date:         Tue, 6 Oct 1998 20:50:14 +0200
Sender:       "A mailing list for discussion about Sun Microsystem's Java
              Servlet." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From:         Giacomo Cosenza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      Re: how to debug servlets

I recently wrote an article in Italian on this subject. If you are able to
read
italian language I could  send you the paper otherwise follow the principle
that "each java application has a class which contains a main() method from
which you start the virtual machine". This is true whatever
web-server/servlet-engine/IDE configuration you use. Personally I hate
VisualStudio but,  mutatis mutandis, you shuold be able to apply in your
devlopment environment the following debugging procedure that works on
servletrunner/jdb configuration:
1) compile your servlet in debug mode (-g option)
2) start in a dos prompt the java debugger (jdb)
3) at jdb prompt load the class corresponding to the servlet you want debug
(e.g >load MyServlet)
4) at jdb prompt run sun.servlet.http.HttpServer class of servletrunner; at
this point jdb become a little java web server (but play attention to the
servletrunner limitations)
5) at jdb prompt insert a break point in one of the servlet method you
implement (e.g. >stop in MyServlet.doGet)
6) from the browser connect to the little java web server running in jbd
(e.g
http://localhost:8080/servlet/MyServlet)
7) At this point the servlet execution shuold stop at the break point you
previously set;
8) at  jdb prompt step into the code to be debugged using the usual jdb
command
(next, stepi, cont).

Good luck
Mimmo