See follow-ups intermixed.

| From:  Volker Turau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| Somehow user defined tags are not discussed on this list.

I think it is just lack of an implementation.

| 1. What is the return value of the methods doStartTag(), doEndTag()
|    respectively doAfterBody() in the support classes TagSupport and
|    BodyTagSupport?
|
|    The values you mention in your mail are not documented. The orion
|    application server behaves as follows:
|    TagSupport:
|      doStartTag()  returns EVAL_BODY_INCLUDE (and not SKIP_PAGE)
|      doEndTag()    returns EVAL_PAGE

Note that I had mentioned SKIP_BODY, not SKIP_PAGE.

Thanks.  I'll contact the Orion people.  It is a bug in the PR2 spec, in
that it does not spell this out.  Will be fixed before FCS.

| 2. How do the implementations of doEndTag() differ in the classes
|    TagSupport and BodyTagSupport?
|
|    It seems odd that BodyTagSupport overrides doEndTag but does not
|    override doStartTag. Since these classes will be subclassed by
|    users, overriding doEndTag() by super.doEndTag() is even more odd.

I think you misunderstood my answer.  BodyTagSupports overrides both.
doStartTag() changes value, while doEndTag() just uses its super, so
it has the same value.

| 3. Is it possible to use the method getPreviousOut() of class
|    BodyTagSupport in the implementation of the methods doStartTag() or
|    doEndTag() in subclasses of BodyTagSupport? Or can these methods
|    only use pageContext.getOut()?
|
|    Using getPreviousOut() seems logical. Appartently the orion server
|    reports an error when doing so.
|
| 4. Why does the method doInitBody() in class BodyTagSupport not
|    include the clause throws JspError?
|
|    Bug in PR2, ok
|
| 5. What happend to the method public PageContext getPageContext() in
|    class Tag? Why was it deleted?
|
|    Providing pageContext as a protected field doesn't seem to be
|    consistent with the other J2EE APIs. There only very few protected
|    fields in these classes. Why did you choose pageContext as one of
|    them? Why is it safer?

Maybe a class going and playing with the page context of another
class?

Let me turn it around.  Do you have a specific example for wanting
this information?

| 6. What happened to the method public java.lang.String getTagName() in
|    class Tag? Why was it deleted?
|
|    I used it only for error reporting (as you mentioned). I found it
|    usefull, because introducing the tag name in the tag handler class
|    makes it harder to change tag names (it is redundant). Also if you
|    subclass tag handlers error reporting using getTagName() was easy.

We will keep this in mind when designing JSP.next.