David,

Good question.

If a new version of HTTP specifies the use of ';' rather than '&', the
servlet engine could detect the HTTP version and decode appropriately.

Personally I'm not holding my breath.  So many existing programs, CGI and
otherwise, depend on ampersand-separated arguments, it would be the web
equivalent of Y2K.

Specific to the servlet world, the HttpUtils.parseXXX methods would need
to take an additional argument.

Cheers,

Wes