Here's a general server based question - it's not directly on topic( JSP), but it
is certainly relevant from a JSP application deployment environment standpoint.

For an application running on a JSP enabled webserver ( for example, java
application server) running in a load balanced environment, how is application
administration / configuration functionality for the application typically
deployed?  Assumption:  The administration / configuration piece is web / browser
based.  Another assumption - this application is accessible from the public
internet, and provides services to website visitors.

How is the Configuration / administration piece best deployed on a load balanced
environment -  Having only one machine being responsible AND capable of doing
administration and configuration, or having the admin/config being installed and
runnable on each of the servers in the load balanced configuration.  The tradeoff
appears to be leveraging failover support of the application server or other
specialized product providing that support versus keeping all the config data
synchronized in case there was a failure (resynchronizing the config data on the
machine that failed when it reinitialized (it might be stale).  It feel like I'm
missing a piece of the puzzle, and I thought I'd get some opinions here.

Another question - what is the typical security checks put in place in that type of
IT environment so that John or Jane Q. Public doesn't have access to running the
administration component (running the URL of the admin/config component from the
public internet - ie - if the admin component is on each of the load balanced
machine, someone "finding" the URL to run the admin/config component - how is this
usually secured from the public internet).

Thanks for the input / response,

Dave
begin:          vcard
fn:             David  Hecksel
n:              Hecksel;David
org:            Axtive Software Corporation
adr:            3100 Mckinnon;;Suite 800;Dallas;Texas;75201;USA
email;internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:          Chief Technology Officer
tel;work:       (214) 880-4820
tel;fax:        (214) 880-4810
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE