David Chisolm writes:

> I was having a very strange caching problem - different from the kind
> normally posted here, and I needed to really understand how caching
> directives are supposed to work.
> [ ... ]
> error.  Of course, everything worked just fine in IE.  (For the version
> conscious, I tested this with NS 4.08, 4.5, 4.6 & 4.7, and IE 4.0 & 5.0)

     Hm, are you sure?  I've seen some really odd behavior with IE5
not obeying caching directives.  Particularly annoying is that both NS
and IE seem to always cache POST arguments no matter whether the pages
before and/or after the POST are no-cached.

> Anyway, the only headers that I set now are:
>
>   response.setHeader("Pragma", "No-cache");
>   response.setHeader("Cache-Control","no-cache" );
>   response.setHeader("Cache-Control","no-store" );
>
> This fixed the problem, and my pages do not go into the cache.

     Hm, I didn't have the no-store header, and from what you said,
the expires header actually caused a problem?  I'll have to try it
this way.

Steven J. Owens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]