The reason you can't see the difference is that you are obviously comming from a
programming background and not a web page development background ;-)

One reason for using beans is that any programming can be taken away from then
html gurus and left to programmers to do it properly :-)

But realy the point of JSP's is to help you seperate the logic from the display.
Stuff like " clock.getDayOfMonth()  " requires a html person to know about the
underlying programming logic in the bean.

    What I would sugest is that you create your bean, document it, create all the
beaninfo stuff and then all a html editor would need to do is read the docs for
your bean, find out that it has a property called "dayOfMonth" and "year"then use
the standard <jsp:getProperty> or <jsp:setProperty> tags (only two extra tags for
html man to learn, so there's a benefit ;-)

eg:-

    <%@ page import="calendar.jspCalendar" %>
        <jsp:useBean id="clock" class="calendar.jspCalendar" >
            <jsp:setProperty name="clock" property="*" />
        </jsp:useBean>
        <ul>
            <li>Day: <jsp:getProperty name="clock" property="dayOfMonth" />
            <li>Year: <jsp:getProperty name="clock" property="year" />
        </ul>

hope that explains a reason why you should use beans, ie seperate the programming
logic from the presentation logic.

PS I noticed that on JSP 1.1 Beta Syntax card that I'm currently using the
<jsp:getProperty /> tag is missing perhaps I'd better see if there is a new one.
(sigh!)

Karl