Justin Wells wrote:
> Quoting Craig R. McClanahan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
> Find out what makes it slow and fix it? That's what's great about OSS
> projects. Or maybe you won't want to do that, but someone else will do
> it instead.

> >   I suppose
> >   I can go write my own implementation, but of course I can do that with
> >   the JSP syntax as well.
>
> However, that's a huge amount of work. It's better to take an existing
> code base and improve it, then start all over from scratch.

  No it isn't, if the existing codebase sucks. Sometimes it's better to
scrap the legacy and start over with a new design. Did you ever look
at the codebase of Netscape 4? JMF1->JMF2? AWT -> Java2D -> Kestrel ->
(Newest pluggable graphics primitive architecture, unannounced)

  That's actually one of the problems of OSS sometimes, is that people
keep hacking away on the same codebase, because it's easy to patch,
and hard to *design*  GNUJSP could certainly be patched so much that
it rivals Tomcat/Jakarta, but it would end up a mess.

  The first implementation of anything is usually a throw away design
used to gain enough information and learn the lessons needed to write
the final implementation.

> > * If I need to hire a developer and I key "WebMacro" and "JSP" keywords
> >   into a resume web site, how many hits am I going to get on each?
>
> If you hire a developer who can't figure out how to use WebMacro in a day,
> then either you hired the wrong person, or I'm doing something wrong. I

Well, he might be able to learn it in a day, but would he neccessarily
use it in the best way without experience? Would he use #parse
directives effectively, or cut-and-paste? Would he rely on $Request
too much, or delegate to the servlet?

There's a big difference between "book learnin'" and actual real
experience.

> It's things like JSP where you might have to worry whether your hire
> has previous experience or not, because it builds a new architecture
> that limits the value of ordinary Java experience. WebMacro doesn't
> do that.

Oh please. JSP's are servlets. They are not a "new architecture" If
anything, the Servlet<->WebMacro MVC is a new architecture which most
PhP/Perl hack's are unfamilar with. The idea that WebMacro is going to
be written by graphic artists is preposterous.

> You write a normal "mainstream" Java servlet, using ordinary mainstream
> Java code. Not weird JSP special-tag stuff, etc.

In comparison to "Weird" WebMacro stuff?

If anything, with JSP, I could hire ASP programmers who are familar
with the syntax. Or XML developers who are familar with XML syntax.

The prospects of hiring experienced developers who can use JSP
effectively are much higher than WebMacro, especially since JSP is
going to be taught at internet training companies around the country,
whereas WebMacro isn't.

When JavaOne or <insert conference here> offers a WebMacro track, call me.