I'm exploring the same too.
The people on this list, helped me get started....

Here's what one of them (Cristi) had to say -
To get started I downloaded the Tomcat release from java.sun.com ( and of
course any other files related to it , i.e. help files, tutorials ).
I extracted the files from the zip I downloaded on my hard drive and there
was a
readme file that told me how to get started. There is a server that I
started up
with startup.bat and then in a browser window at address I wrote :
http://127.0.0.1/ and I got a page with all sort of examples and stuff.
I work on NT and I have the Microsoft Peer Web Server installed as an active
service.