Does anyone know the purpose behind the somewhat standard directory
structure that is found in many of the JSP/Servlet servers?   What I mean
is this:  In the JSWDK, Tomcat, Resin, JRun and many others, you will find
a similar directory structure including directories named WEB-INF, META-INF
and others.  I've run into constant problems trying to figure out where to
put my servlets and  my java beans and my JSP files within this crazy
structure.  Configuring the stupid XML config files is a pain and the
documentation might as well be in Greek. (I honestly think that the
definitions of the XML files/tags listed in the documentation are so
technical, that anyone who could read and understand them doesn't need the
documentation to begin with.)

What is the logic behind the WEB-INF directories?  Why not just dump
everything in a single folder and let the server sort it out?