Craig,

     Sorry,  I 'm *not* guessing but trying to help you and this group as
much a possible.  The syntax works in my application (WAS 2). You can use
*file* or *virtual*. See excerpt from specs :

""
Most commands take only one tag at a time.
     No spaces are allowed between the <-- and the #.

     Here is a description of the NCSA SSI include command:
     include
          Inserts a file into the document being served. The included file
is subject to the normal access control restrictions. Available tags are:
          virtual
               Instructs the server to append the directory specified by
the virtual tag to the document directory when locating the file.
          file
               When used with virtual, the file tag simply specifies the
name of the file. When used alone, it specifies the path and name of the
file relative
               to the current directory (the string "../" cannot be used).

          For example:

               <!--#include virtual="/pathfromdocdir/"
file="copyright.html" -->
               <!--#include file="data/table.html" -->

     And here is an example of its use in a file:

          <head>
          </head>
          <h1>A Page for the Company Website</h1>
          <!--# include file="productspecification.jsp" -->
          <!--# include file="disclaimer.html" -->
          <!--# include file="copyright.html" -->

""

Greetings
Peter Collette

no that does not work.  I would like to know if anybody has a solution to
this problem...please no guesses.

                                        -craig

try this Craig,

     <!--#include file ='xyz' -->

Peter Collette

The version of websphere we use supports JSP v0.91.
JSP v0.91 does not support the following tag:
<%@ include file="filename" %>

Does anyone know how to do SSI using JSP (v0.91) on IBM Websphere?

          -craig