The orion examples are excellent for getting a start into developing tags.

For some more advanced tags, the JSPTags project
 https://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=1282 ) has two libraries with
almost 15 tags combined now (growing daily).

They're completely open source so you can poke around 'under the hood' to
see how they work.

Try it - risk free! ;)

https://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=1282

Cheers,