> "/dispatch" is not an absolute URL. It needs a context to mean something
> (like a protocol and a host).

Well, no, it doesn't, in practice. If you leave out the protocol+host+port,
they're provided from the page context.

But OK, if you don't like the word "absolute" by itself, feel free to use
"absolute path".

> However the leading slash implies that the path is relative to some
> root. The question is whether this root should be the root of the entire
> website, or the root of the web application. Considering that the
> servlet 2.2 specification is application-centric and not site-centric,
> the normal way to read it would be that the root is in fact the
> application root and nothing else. This is also how we interpret the
> specification. However, I do agree that the specification should clarify
> this and we can of course have mis-interpreted what the specification
> says.

I think the parameter here is a url, with the standard
protocol://host:port/path format. The question of what kind of platform is
serving the page (html, cgi, servlet, asp,...) shouldn't matter, since all
of these technologies should be able to interoperate. So, any string
starting with "/" will replace the whole path, while any string without the
initial "/" will be appended to the current path.

If "/newPath" was interpreted as being relative to the application path,
there'd be no way to go to a different app on the same web server. This
would be a bit of a problem.

_3