i disagree.  in my company the target platform for an application is often
dictated by our clients, which is why servlets make a lot more sense than
those stupid webclasses.  we can develop on nt, test on linux and deploy on
solaris.  (not that we necessarily do this) it isn't completely trouble
free, but i have moved classfiles from platform to platform without
recompilation..

even if you will never work on anything but nt (god help you), servlets are
still smarter than vb/com/mts.  in my view they are easier to write (a truly
oo language, not overgrown scripting).  they are certainly easier to deploy
(no regsrv blah blah blah).  and they are easier to debug..  i have just
been through debugging hell on an asp/iis/mts application and you won't be
able to convince me otherwise ;-)