this will be tough if you have never programmed in java before.  if, on the
windows side, you are a c++ programmer it will be easier.  but here goes..

1.  download jrun from www.allaire.com, or servletexec from
www.newatlanta.com.  there are several others but one of these will get you
started..

2.  install whichever one you downloaded so that it can communicate with iis
4.0.  this is a straigtforward process. you need to install a .dll that will
handle jsp/servlets and map it inside iis 4.0 so that the webserver hands
such requests off to it.

3.  download and install jdk1.2.2 from sun as well as jswdk -- you will need
servlet.jar from that.

4.  read all the documentation from the servlet container, the jdk, the
jswdk, etc.  in addition, get the book 'professional java server
programming', and if you're new to java get 'beginning java 2'.

5.  use the example servlets in the container you choose to figure out how
things are done. lurk on lists like this one, browse the knowledgebase, bug
reports, online forums, etc. at the java developer's connection.

6.  spend a couple of weeks figuring all this stuff out and becoming
accustomed to it.

7.  after you get better, move your development over to solaris or linux.
you can use the apache server, netscape, or an application server.

8.  after you figure out just how cool this all is, don't ever go back to
windows..

bradley mclain