From: "Kevin Duffey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Joshua Rudin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [Re: good servlet debugger]
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:50:08 -0800

I tried Forte.

I have to say, while I will probably start using it, a few things I notice
right off.

First, I know the sway of the market is not to use MDI based applications.
But I really hate having all those tabs on my start line. Its confusing when
I am running a few other programs in conjunction with Forte. I had like 8
new tabs added when running Forte. Ok..dont use MDI, but cant each of those
windows be placed in the Window menu, instead of tabs on the Start menu.
What about Forte on Linux or other platforms..does it do this as well there?

Second, the speed is terrible! Its so darn slow! While Forte may give alot
of bang for no bucks, it sure is sluggish. I know SWING is slow and all, but
shoot..I start editing, and its like my keyboard gets stuck every few
letters I type.

On a side note, for those not aware, the JDK 1.3 beta greatly speeds up
SWING apps. Even so, Forte still is sluggish in some areas. I do notice
windows open quite abit faster, and scrolling of the editor is smooth now
compared to choppy at best with JDK 1.2.2. It does work with JDK 1.3
though..I haven't noticed any bugs yet..but then again, I dont use Forte
yet.

I think I would wait for JBuilder 4 though..being that it is also a 100%
java written app right down to the compiler. The Jbuilder 3 is much faster
(the swing version demo) than Forte is, and I believe it offers alot of the
same types of features, such as RAD/GUI building tools, multi-tab editor,
etc. I wish Forte had VSS in it..but I assume with its open architecture
someone can write a plugin for it?

Anyways..first thought of Forte is that its workable, but not quite up to
snuff with native IDEs. I still use KAWA at this point. Only reason I am
even looking at Forte is because our team is trying to decide the best
platform to use for developing with.