Howdy List,

I checked through the archives and found posts relating to this, but none of
them really
explained why it happens.

Here's a simplified series of events to create the problem:

1)  define a new context "/dev" and create it's associated web-inf/classes
directory.
2)  create a simple bean "myBean" and put it in web-inf/classes.
3)  create a simple JSP that has the tag <jsp:useBean id="mb" scope="page"
class="myBean" />.

At this point everything works fine. The JSP compiles and is able to
retrieve information from the bean.

4) create a subdirectory "test" under the /dev context.
5) move the JSP into the test subdirectory.

The JSP no longer compiles. It seems to be looking for test.myBean instead
of just myBean.

This clears up if you make myBean part of a package and then reference it as
"package.myBean"
in the jsp:useBean tag. And yes, normally I use packages.
I'm just curious if anyone knows why it does this?

Cheers,
   Bill