Craig,

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowlege with list members.

> I use a Hashtable for two different purposes:
>
> * Map from the action name requested to the name of the
>   Java class I want to execute for this Action name.  I usually
>   configure this with servlet initialization parameters, but there's
>   lots of choices.
>
> * Map from the action name to the one and only existing
>   instance of this action class.  I only create such an instance
>   the first time this action is requested -- after that, I use the
>   same one for all requests, to avoid the object creation
>   overhead for at least this one object.

I was just wondering ...
Your are using a single instance of action class to process all the requests.
Also to keep it thread safe, you don't use any instance variables. In that case
why do we even need a single instance ? Why can't we just invoke the "static"
method from the class. Something like Integer.ParseInt () ?

Is it a bad practice to use classes this way ? or it has something to do with
the fact that static methods are not overridden ?

thanks,

- Rajesh