Rajesh Shah wrote:

> > OK, now what failure symptoms are you seeing?
>
> The JSP is presented to the user, the user fills in the detail and it gets
> send to the servlet (the controller), the servlet gets the request object
> and grabs the session instance. When it trys to grab the session instance it
> is always null.
>
> If I replace the servlet with a JSP as the contoller, this works fine. This
> suggests seems to suggest that there isn't a continuation of a persistant
> session between JSPs and Servlets in Tomcat, but I could be wrong. Looking
> through the newsgroup it seems that quite a lot of people have had this
> problem.
>
> However, I have been researching several other servlet runners and they also
> seem to be fine, although not all of them support JSP 1.1

Could it be that your servlet and JSP page are actually part of two different
applications/contexts? A context is identified by a URL prefix, so for instance
if you have one context associated with /foo and call your servlet with a URL

  /servlet/myController

and the JSPs as

  /foo/myJSP.jsp

the servlet is executed in the default context and the JSP is executed in the
/foo context; and contexts don't share sessions.

If this is the problem, try calling your servlet as

  /foo/servlet/myController

instead. Or even better, map it to an explicit path such as /myController
and call it with

  /foo/myController

See the Servlet 2.2 spec for details about how to map servlets to URL
paths.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com