I use an open source product called TinyXML
(http://www.gibaradunn.srac.org/tiny/) to parse the configuration file.
It's a pretty simple, non-validating XML parser.  I found their example
really easy to follow and wound up accidently building the parser while
playing around over a lunchbreak.  The website I'm working on will
eventually need to deliver XML files (translated through XSL) so I'll
eventually switch to Cacoon or something similar.

I preload it into a hashtable of actions in the main servlet's init() method
(because the configuration data is so heavily used).  The hashtable of
actions contain action objects which in turn have a hashtable of intents
(containing intent objects).  Code readability and ease of maintenance is
why I decided on this method.  I don't imagine hashtables to be a terribly
efficient performance wise, but I find it really helps keeps things straight
when coding.

Donald