Yes, there are users who want a single tab on the taskbar and there are
users who want multiple tabs. Maybe we should make this optional.

What we usually do is that we use a virtual desktop manager, which brings
Unix-like virtual desktops to Windows. Then one desktop is the "Forte"
desktop and other desktops are used for other apps.
Try Desks At Will - http://www.idyle.com/daw/index.html

Petr