Dear Joseph,

Thanks a lot for your informative mail. In fact, it has set me off on a few
more queries!

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Arnab Acharya wrote:
>
> > Could anyone tell me, preferably with examples, the difference btwn
> session
> > and page scope?
>
> No example here, because I just woke up, but here's the difference between
> all the scopes:
>
> With page scope, the bean is available only during the lifetime of that
> JSP page. When the JSP page execution ends (for whatever reason), the bean
> reference is lost.
>
> With request scope, the bean is available until the last JSP servicing
> this request ends. Thus, a page executed via <jsp:forward /> still has
> access to the beans (provided, of course, they declare the reference
> themselves via <jsp:useBean />).

Does it hold for <jsp:include> also?

> With session scope, the bean reference is available until the user session
> ends, which is configurable in the web server (and controllable by the
> programmer, as well.) Thus, if a user puts in a name, a session bean can
> retain that data until the user leaves the site altogether for an hour or
> so, or until they specifically log out (or create a new session for
> whatever reason.)
>
> With application scope, the bean reference is available to any servlet or
> JSP page that executes within the same servlet context as the bean (i.e.,
> the same web application.) This might be used for (bad example) page hits
> during the application's current execution, or something like that. I
> would say "Database connections,"

'Sorry, I'm not clear on this! Does it have to be the same servlet context?
In my case, JSP pages are used where, say, AccProducts and Location beans
are used. That generates 2 different servlets, right? So, this scope'll be
available for both these, is it?

> but I'm SURE you're using J2EE and
> letting your container pool the connections itself... right?

Yes, that's it!

Regards,

Arnab