From: David Mankin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, April 23, 2000 6:39 PM
To: Howard Lee
Subject: Re: 64K limit

Hi, Howard.  I haven't hit this limit yet, but I've been in fear of
it since I began developing JSPs.  As far as I know, the limit is a
hard limit set by the Java language.  We're using JRun, instead of
Tomcat, so I don't know if this advice will apply to you, but...

The one solution we've considered is switching from <%@ include %>
tags to <jsp:include> tags.  These tags perform the including at
runtime instead of compile time, so there's no bloat of the JSP.  (If
you have one enormous JSP file, consider breaking it up into parts
and jsp:include'ing them.)  There are several problems with this,
though, if you're not used to using the jsp:include tags.  The main
one is that, the included page is its own servlet instead of sharing
the same namespace as the parent page.  So local variables that you'd
declared in in your top servlet are not available to the included
servlets.  This means that you must switch to using beans and
properties to communicate things between the jsp pages.