Kevin,
I seem to recall you stating once that you kept the rd.forward out of the
action classes and in the controller.
I do the same and in this case adding page tracking is trivial since you can
just add the tracking to the controller and not all the action classes.
I use a simple session attribute Page.Current as follows:

        // call the action class with recommended page destination
        // return value is the actual page to go to - it may the "next" page
        // or the original page if any (validation) error occurred and we
        // want to go back to the page we just came from
        /// as stated by session attribute Page.Current
        String nextPage = aow.mObject.perform( this, req, res, aow.mTargetPage );
        // Processing is complete.
        // Now reroute the flow back to the presentation and the user
        // update the page tracker
        req.getSession().setAttribute("Page.Current", nextPage );
        req.getRequestDispatcher( nextPage ).forward( req, res );

Regards
@