Daniel,

At my company, we are working on a similar process to yours. Our
non-programmers will be creating simple XML documents. We then run a
design-time build process to transform the XML documents into JSP pages. We
are building common transformations for things like business object
listings. The same XML DTD for a business object listing can be used to
define the layout for the listings of different business objects in separate
XML document instances. The beauty of this approach is that we get a
consistent look to all our listings and can change the look at anytime for
all listings by changing the XSL transformations that produce the JSP files
from the XML document instances.

Another good aspect of this approach is that we don't have a runtime
performance hit doing an XSL transformation. Of course, there are still
things that have to be decided dynamically at runtime. For that information,
we encapsulate the Java logic in beans. The obvious disadvantage of our
approach versus yours is that we can't do the "on the fly" generation of
different output formats. However, we can still support different output
formats by generating the multiple formats in our design-time build process.

I will let you know in a few months how it pans out because we are just now
going from investigation phase into design/development of this approach in a
big way.

FYI,

Mike Van Riper
[EMAIL PROTECTED]