> I am going to start by making a bold statement, then support that
statement
> with my observations.  After introducing XML + XSLT into your architecture
> the need for Java Server Pages disappears!

This seems somewhat true to me, but it may also be a big step backwards in
terms of capabilities.  For simple data models and simple transforms, XSLT
will work just fine.   But if you've tried to build complex web pages using
XSLT (for one thing, it cannot operate on multiple XML documents at the same
time), it's a real pain, and there are not all those built-in bean methods
and eventual taglibs that make life easier.  XSLT just transforms data
structure.  If you need to build a page that is made up of several different
"data sets" (objects anybody?), you'd need to create a single XML document
that contained all of these data sets so that one XSLT could transform based
on them all.

Also, who creates the XML documents?  It no doubt is a bean.  What's the
point of having the bean convert data into a somewhat expensive XML document
on the server, just to have the XSLT on the server do the transform.

This may be much more powerful in the future when browsers and the like can
take the XML+XSLT and do the work on its own end, but that's generally not
the case now.

XML documents are best used when they are being sent to other computer
systems -- since XML is a nice data transfer syntax in a heterogeneous
world.  Building and parsing DOM/XML is pretty expensive for just internal
server representation.

David