cvs or Concurrent Version System is a very powerful source code control
system, typically used mostly in Unix environments, but with ports to
various versions of Windows and MacOS.  A good starting point is:

    http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs-index.html

And a document that discusses how to apply these principles to web
development is:

    http://durak.org/cvswebsites/

We use it extensively to synchronize development between multiple
developers across the US on our jsp/html/image-based web sites and all
our java source and makefiles.

                        -=- D. J.