Was this problem just with the ordering of the attribute attribute in the
tag entries? or something else. I just look over the .dtd (despite the URL
for the one provided in the .tld file being invalid according to sun) and
that's the only difference I could find. Anyway, I made the change and the
error still exists.

Here's the .tld I'm using.

<!DOCTYPE taglib
        PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD JSP Tag Library 1.1//EN"
        "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-jsptaglib_1_1.dtd">
<taglib>
    <tlibversion>1.0</tlibversion>
    <jspversion>1.1</jspversion>
    <shortname>mut</shortname>
    <info>
        Utility tags for JSP.
    </info>
    <tag>
        <name>debugBuffer</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.DebugBufferTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>empty</bodycontent>
        <info>
            Report the current status of output buffering.
        </info>
    </tag>

    <tag>
        <name>debugCookies</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.DebugCookiesTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>empty</bodycontent>
        <info>
            List the cookies accessible from this page.
        </info>
    </tag>

    <tag>
        <name>url</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.UrlTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>tagdependent</bodycontent>
        <info>
            Perform URL rewriting if required.
        </info>
    </tag>

    <tag>
        <name>encodeHTML</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.EncodeHtmlTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>tagdependent</bodycontent>
        <info>
            Perform HTML encoding of enclosed text.
        </info>
    </tag>

    <tag>
        <name>outline</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.OutlineTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>JSP</bodycontent>
        <info>
            Delimits a set of items comprising a nested outline.
        </info>
    </tag>
    <tag>
        <name>item</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.OutlineItemTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>JSP</bodycontent>
        <info>
            Delineates an item, possibly including subitems,
            within a nested outline.
        </info>
        <attribute>
            <name>text</name>
            <required>true</required>
            <rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>
        </attribute>
    </tag>

    <tag>
        <name>ifProperty</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.IfPropertyTag</tagclass>
        <bodycontent>JSP</bodycontent>
        <info>
            Conditionally include or exclude page content
            based on a bean property.
        </info>
    </tag>

    <tag>
        <name>forProperty</name>
        <tagclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.ForPropertyTag</tagclass>
        <teiclass>com.taglib.wdjsp.mut.ForPropertyTEI</teiclass>
        <bodycontent>JSP</bodycontent>
        <info>
            Loop through an indexed property.
        </info>