Hi guys,

Here's the short description of my problem :
I have two jsp : login.jsp & service.jsp

User must pass the screening which is done by login.jsp before he can access
service.jsp.
If user try to access service.jsp directly, he will be bounced (forwarded) to
login.jsp.

So, It's time to use session.
Page directive in login.jsp =
<%@ .... session="false" %>
And page directive in service.jsp =
<%@ .... session="true" %>

In service.jsp, I put this code to detect any attempt to "break in" by the user :
<%
if(session.isNew()){
        %>
        <jsp:forward page="login.jsp" />
        <%
}

In login.jsp, there is simple database query, to check the username and password
entered by user. If found, another query will fetch some relevant info about that
user, to be put in the session. So the code would be like this :
<%
        //sql query
        //here's the interesting part.
        //Since the reference to implicit object session is not avalaible within
login.jsp, I have to make one
        HttpSession session = request.getSession(true);
        //then I put some user info, like user_id & user_fullname in that newly
created session
        //Now, I'm expecting the session implicit object which will be avalaible
within  service.jsp will refer to that newly created session above.. Is that correct ?
        //Now, let's take the user to service.jsp
%>
<jsp:forward page="service.jsp" />

The result :
I got a request phase error.
After some tracking, I can conclude that the error is in service.jsp. I make this call
in service.jsp :
Hello <%= session.getValue("user_fullname") %> !

I think, session is null.
Umm, wait, maybe the return value of getValue("user_fullname") is null. Which
means...the session in service.jsp != session that I created in login.jsp (???).
Well, I'm not sure by the time I'm writing this email.

Either case : I got NullPointerException.

Where did I do wrong guys ?
Once with servlet, everything worked fine. I'd never ran into this kind of trouble.

Thanks for your helps...
I really appreciate it

-raka-

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct