nono, not at all. You understood this wrong.
I'm not using EJB's myself, but with EJB's there's a very detailed outline
on how you're supposed to create them and what methods are needed.
If you use simple classes/beans to do the db work, there isn't any guide.
So everyone has to re-invent what's the best way to code these. And I've
seen quite some bad solutions.

I used mainly 2 approaches.
* the first one is a generic wrapper class around a SQL statement. The
details (select statement, column list, data types, whether it's updateable
or not, connection name...) are stored in a configuration file.
This allows me to do easy reporting and direct updating/inserting in the
database. The data are cached in memory so that I can close the connection
after retrieving the data.
This is more or less like a CachedRowSet.

* On other occasions I create beans that map the specific business objects.
But especially here it's not clear how we 're supposed to do this.
I mostly create:
- a constructor without params (required for beans) and that allows me to
insert new objects in the db.
- a constructor that takes the primary key
- sometimes some other lookup constructors, like with a name.
- a load method
- a save method (that inserts or saves depending on whether the load
function was already called)
- sometimes a delete method (but I don't delete often from a database)
- get and set methods for the main data fields
- a generic get and set method for other data fields like
String getValue(String field) and
void setValue(String field, String value)
- Static lookup methods that return an instance, an array of instances or an
array of keys.

I would like to put this way of working in some sort of light framework with
interfaces, utility classes and parts of the code I keep rewriting in all my
classes.
I really need to do some good refactoring here.
Are there any suggestions? remarks on my outline above, comments,
alternatives....

Geert 'Darling' Van Damme