You can do this with JavaScript. Here is a sample Javascript code for
validating e-mail address.

/* ======================================================================
        FUNCTION:       isValidEmail

        INPUT:          str (string) - an e-mail address to be tested

        RETURN:         true, if the string contains a valid e-mail address
which is a string
                                        plus an '@' character followed by
another string containing at least
                                        one '.' and ending in an alpha
(non-punctuation) character.
                                        false, otherwise

        CALLS:          isBlank(), isAlpha() which are defined elsewhere in
the Script Library

        PLATFORMS:      Netscape Navigator 3.01 and higher,
                                        Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.02 and
higher,
                                        Netscape Enterprise Server 3.0,
                                        Microsoft IIS/ASP 3.0.

====================================================================== */
        function isValidEmail( str ) {
                // Return immediately if an invalid value was passed in
                if (str+"" == "undefined" || str+"" == "null" || str+"" ==
"")
                        return false;

                var isValid = true;

                str += "";

                namestr = str.substring(0, str.indexOf("@"));  // everything
before the '@'
                domainstr = str.substring(str.indexOf("@")+1, str.length);
// everything after the '@'

                // Rules: namestr cannot be empty, or that would indicate no
characters before the '@',
                // domainstr must contain a period that is not the first
character (i.e. right after
                // the '@').  The last character must be an alpha.
                if (isBlank(str) || (namestr.length == 0) ||
                                (domainstr.indexOf(".") <= 0) ||
                                (domainstr.indexOf("@") != -1) ||
                                !isAlpha(str.charAt(str.length-1)))
                        isValid = false;