Henry,

If it is sensitive information, I think the user would feel happier using
SSL ?
(in which case you don't have to worry about the encoding ...)

If you insist on using the applet approach then ...
1) why not hide the form and make the applet call a javascript function to
unhide
everything when it has loaded?
OR
2) Put all the fields on the applet and do a POST from the applet when they
hit
the applets submit (probably the most work cos you eliminate the HTML form
but
definitely do-able)

Think carefully about your architecture and which approach fits the
situation best
and will be the easiest to maintain.

Hope that helps! :)

Jonathan