A few comments on this draft.

1) As I understand it the 'pageEncoding' directive
   denotes the encoding of the page itself, not the
   output -- or does it denote the encoding of both?
   The spec could be a bit clearer here.

2) I like the new Localization chapter.  It is not
   explicit, however, that implementations must
   use the 'charset' information in the contentType
   or response.setContentType() to set the JspWriter's
   encoding -- assuming the given encoding is supported
   by the given VM (if it is not an error should be
   generated).  I presume this is the intent basic
   intent.  If not, I see that as a big issue for
   "Localization".

   A JSP engine implementor may not key into the
   implications as it is in that they may see only
   an implication to produce an appropriate "Content-Type"
   header when possible (i.e. when the content body has
   not yet been started).  Whereas they really need to
   use this to properly configure the JspWriter too.

3) A grammar checker is needed.  On page 62, in section
   3.4, the following phrase appears:

     Two common approaches are two use a....
                               ^^^
   The second "two" (the indicated uncapitalized one)
   needs to be changed to "to".  This jumped out at me
   while I could barely hold my eyes open, so it is
   somewhat obvious (at least to some).

--
Jess Holle