Hi all,

    How are people using the MessageDigest object to encrypt values before
sending them to the database?

    Maybe I'm using it in the wrong way, but I am trying to do something
like this:

Get a value from the user, across SSL, like a password.
Encrypt that password with MessageDigest(using MD5).
Put the resulting byte array into the database.

    I can't seem to find a way to get a byte array into the database, Oracle
in this case.  I figured I could use a NUMBER datatype, but then how do you
convert a byte array to a java datatype that you can use with one of the
setXXX functions provided with PreparedStatement that will go into a NUMBER?

Hope I didn't confuse everyone with this question, I'd be happy to clarify.

Thanks in advance,
Rey