From: Andy Purshottam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2000 6:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: where to learn about JSP based dynamic web applications?

Recent traffic on this list has made me thing again about
a matter that troubled me a few months ago:

Where to point the bright young (and old) people who want to
write dynamic web applications (things that look and act like windows
MVC-based  applications, but run in a browser and use javaScript,
DHTML (esp  uSoft's which is the most D) and maybe Flash or SVG)?

I have not yet found a proper textbook or article that discusses this
subject comprehensively.

There are some articles and book that cover the server
based forms and server only MVC setups like struts. And there
are books and articles on client side dynamic web technology like
DHTML, Flash and javaScript. But the only references I can find
that show how to synthesize fake (fake because no proper
firewall tolerant server->cliet notifiction exists yet) are
the pushlets paper on JW and a couple notes from Netscape
on DHTML.

I have a rough note I wrote for some smart guys in my office. who were very
troubled when they could not see explict use of sockets or other
client server stuff in my designs,  which I shall try to clean
up when I get back to office this weekend and post. Does anyoe else
have data or citations of publications that teach this tedious art?

Andy