I use JBuilder 3.5 Enterprise Ed. which comes with the Inprise Application
Server (IAS).  I like the JBuilder IDE and the IAS interface, but give IAS a "B
-" grade.  IAS with JBuilder 3.5 uses Servlet 2.0 and JSP 0.92 APIs. without
providing free upgrades.  The "new" IAS that ships with JBuilder 4.0 uses
Servlet 2.1 and JSP 1.0 APIs without any means of free upgrades.  The FREE J2EE
server uses Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1 APIs.  What difference does this make?  If
your using a servlet with "RemoteDispatcher" and other newer J2EE commands, IAS
won't recognize the method(s) and you WASTE lots of time trying to figure out
what the heck is going on.  Debugging JSP's using JBuilder/Inprise is a good
idea; however, Inprise needs to provide much better server upgrade support
before I will consider them for a commercial installation.  I would appreciate
other people's opinion regarding Application Servers: Tomcat, JRun 3.0, etc.  I
can't find anything written that contrasts the various servers (high end
commercial with EJB/Transaction support versus Tomcat, etc.)

I'm using JBuilder with the J2EE server and things work much better.  The only
issues I have dealt with J2EE server is figuring out how to set the
configuration, use the deployment tool and understand the security management
features "read/write" access of files handled with its Server.policy file.
Documentation for J2EE Server beginners is poor in my opinion.

W. Paul Waits

|--------+----------------------------->
|        |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|        |          bnamro.com         |
|        |                             |
|        |          11/10/00 03:56 AM  |
|        |          Please respond to  |
|        |          JSP-INTEREST       |
|        |                             |
|--------+----------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                           |
  |       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Paul Waits/Enron Communications)                      |
  |       Subject:     Re: Best JSP Tool                                      |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello Mr. Mio Nino P. Marquez,
     Thanks a lot for such a helpful information but can you please tell me
whether it is possible to get an evaluation version of
JBuilder 4. I checked a few days ago and evaluation version of JBuilder 3.5 was
available.
     Also what do you think regarding one feature of JBuilder, integration with
other tools.
     I unerstand JBuilder is a full fulledge server side development product on
its own. But what if I am developing my bussiness logic in Visual Age
     and would like to develop presentation and web layer in JBuilder.
     I will be waiting for your reply.
Best Regards,

Khurram
ABN AMRO Global IT Systems

Mio Nino Marquez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 11/06/2000 07:11:31 PM

Please respond to A mailing list about Java Server Pages specification and
      reference <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: Khurram Sardar/PK/ABNAMRO/NL)
Subject:  Re: Best JSP Tool

Khurram,

We went to the product launch of JBuilder 4 recently and was really
impressed with it.
The JBuilder 4 Enterprise edition allows you to do Servlet / JSP
debugging... this includes stepping through codes, modify variable values
etc.
It's expensive though. <vbg> But you can have the Pro albeit without JSP /
Servlet debugging capabilities. <g>

For other stuffs, you may want to check this out:

JSP for Code Jockeys
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2639151,00.html

Mio Nino P. Marquez
Senior Analyst Programmer