Ofcourse something is missing..Orion wasn't there. :) Orion overall is a far
better product, however, Orion lacks the documnetation and some packaged
tools that other vendors provide..in favor of a more solid engine for J2EE
development and deployment. Also, JRun is $5000 per cpu, Orion is $1500 per
server. Big difference. The problem with this however..is that alot of
companies (or people) feel that if a product is so cheap, there is no way it
can be as good. Orion doesn't have much marketing. Word of mouth..and a few
reviews. But, if you want to compare actual performance and reliability, I
am quite sure Orion will win hands down. Orion is changing often..meaning
they are adding new functionality for J2EE 1.3 (EJB 2.0, JSP 1.2 Servlets
2.3, etc). I have no doubt in mind there are some things JRun, WebLogic and
other vendors offer that Orion doesn't..and may never. But, for $5000 per
cpu (JRun) or $15K per cpu (WebLogic) I would expect a hell of a lot more
than what they give you.

If you want ease of use (for the most part), reliable, clustering, and
extremely affordable, you go with Orion. If you want name brand and the
ability to talk to a live technical person (who I might add almost always
lack the knowledge of anything other than basic questions), you go with
WebLogic, Jrun, WebSphere, and so on. Its a shame so many people don't give
enough attention so great products that just have a real-world pricetag on
them and try to understand that with a small company that offers such a
great product, you often have to forgo some of the other niceties that the
big boys give you.

What it boils down to, at least to me..is do you want a functional J2EE
engine that is small, fast, reliable, affordable and gets the job done? Or
do you want to shell out lots of money so your VC's and whoever else are
happy that you are spending the money wisely (in their minds anyways)? JRun,
WebLogic and others are all capable products. But what they really should do
is follow the "open" product a bit more. That is..offer a J2EE core for rock
bottom price..one that allows solid J2EE performance and capabilities. Then,
add on other products as plugins of sorts, and make money off of them too.
$15K per cpu for WebLogic is outrageous. Even worse..$15K per cpu for a QA
machine, staging machine and $2500 per developer workstation..thats
sickening to me. Why the hell anyone wants to pay so much money to use
someone's product for development is beyond me. I don't care if my company
had $billions, I would look at the product that best gets the job done with
the littles fanfare in getting it operating, and offers solid reliable
performance and scalability. The only app server on the market that fits
that description is Orion.

Believe you me..I am not working for Orion, nor do I get any benefits from
saying this from them. When I researched application servers, The overall
package of Orion was the best one I found. I checked out WebLogic,
SilverStream, Blue Stone, WebSphere, OAS, IAS, JRun, Tomcat (not J2EE
but..). There is another one that I haven't checked out yet that looks
promising..called Pramatti or something. But overall, Orion has the best of
breed for all areas of web-app development.