IMVHO
the best technique for debugging is looking at the code ;-)
Sometimes, you can use a few techniques to help you focus.
My favorite one is called 'System.out.println'.
Doesn't ook very sophisticated, but I realy like it. Real stepwise JDB type
debugging is possible with JSP but it's very rarely done.

For more info on this, read my chapters on debugging in Wrox's 'Pro JSP' and
'Java server programming J2EE'

Geert Van Damme