Hi,
Please excuse the naiveté of my question as I am knew to JSP/servlets.

Is it possible to refer to the session & response objects from inside <%!
declaration %> statements? As such:

<%!
public void CheckPassword(String strPass) {
    if (strPass.length() < 1 ) {
        session.setAttribute("ErrorMessage",
                                 "The password field is empty");
        response.sendRedirect("error_message.jsp");
}
%>

<head>
<title>Check personal details</title>
</head>

<%
    CheckPassword((String)request.getParameter("password1"));
%>

I keep receiving the following errors:
        Undefined variable or class name: session
                session.setAttribute("ErrorMessage", "The password field is
empty");

        Undefined variable or class name: response
                response.sendRedirect("error_message.jsp");

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Pete