Hi

I just wrote a brief article about this.

http://www.jspinsider.com/articles/jsp/intrototags.html

A quick hash of some of the pros / cons

The problem with tags are:
-An initial extra up front cost in building the tags.
-An additional overhead in processing the tag.
-Adding some complexity to certain operation where
  scriptlets  would be easier.

The benefits that tags have:

-Reusability
-Easier to maintain pages and have other people use same page.
-Easier to expand and change functionality without changing
  existing pages
-Expand JSP
-There are some things you can do in tags YOU CANT achieve with
  scriptlets
-Better than templates for maintainability
-Easier to move code from project to project, vs scriptlets which
  dont move as well.

This is a very quick list and the benefit list goes on and on,
but its 1 am I need some sleep, check the article for more details...

Casey Kochmer
www.jspinsider.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]