This is patently false......
JSP DOES NOT determine the user interface.....
only it can improve the sophistication of the HTML which delivers the
interface.
Many websites are using Javascript with large script libraries to improve
the user interface......
NOT JAVA or JSP.

JSP cannot do many things doable with an Applet....it's just impossible.
Graphics rotation and live data feeds for instance.

Applets are unpopular because :
1) most users with browsers can "shutdown" their built-in JVM
2) the browser JVM's are old and don't support many JDK 1.2/1.3 classes
3) applets can increase page size considerable....most applets of any
substantance are at least 20-50k in size.
4) Microsoft will not support applets in the next version of their browser
(unless the government beats Bill Gates into submission and puts him in jail
(where he belongs) for about 3 months)

John: are we having fun yet ;)