re: "..shouldn't use <%! %> tags to declare variables unless you know very
well what you're doing. But, alas, we see so many examples who do it wrong
(and people sometimes are upset if you tell them about it)"

A good question or two may be: Are there <any> uses for <%! %> variables ?
and if not, why were they included in the original JSP specifications doc ?