I'm trying to test setting a simple string value to my java bean's setter
method from the input of a JSP page.

Using the JSP set syntax and usebean to get a reference to my bean's setter
method, can I use response.encodeURL() to call the same current jsp and then
the same jsp calls the setter method on the bean, which then updates the
database?

I don't know if this is correct or not, but my example is not working. My
database should be fine and my java bean syntax/connection to db should be
fine. I just don't have the right syntax in my JSP page to submit the input
value to my bean - I think.

Thank you!

Here is my jsp code:

<!-- A JSP to test -->

<jsp:useBean id='happy' scope='page' class='examples.Test'
type='examples.TestIF' />

<head>
<title>Test Bean</title>
</head>

<FORM method="post" action=<% response.encodeURL("happy/setTest.jsp"); %> >

<INPUT type="text" name="fname" >
<jsp:setProperty name="happy" property="database" value="fname" />

<input type="submit">
</FORM>

Here is my error stack trace:

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL
Server]Invalid co
lumn name 'fname'.
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(JdbcOdbc.java:6031)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(JdbcOdbc.java:6188)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLExecDirect(JdbcOdbc.java:2494)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcStatement.execute(JdbcOdbcStatement.java:314)
at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcStatement.executeUpdate(JdbcOdbcStatement.java:
264)
at examples.Test.setDatabase(Test.java:92)