Isn't this what the original poster asked for?  The URI of the page
referring to the servlet?

-----Original Message-----
From: erik morton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 1:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to get URL of the original servlet after forwarding to
aJSP page?

Actually I don't think that this will work. Here is why:
The client makes an HTTP request to the servlet which then uses the
RequestDispatcher to Forward the request to the jsp page. Because he is
using the
request dispatcher and not response.sendRedirect() there is no response back
to the
client from the servlet. This means that the header that the jsp has access
to is
the same header that the servlet had access to (only one HTTP request means
only
one HTTP header). Thus request.getHeader("referer") will return the URI of
the page
that referred the client to the servlet.

Why don't you want to set an attribute?

Shawn Zhu wrote:

> use request.getHeader()

Erik I Morton