So you are working in a project eh. =)
It doesn't matter what the database was done in.
It's a database in sql?  You can always access it
as long as the language provide connectivity to that
kinda database.

You can always use java's jdbcodbc drivers.  You can
create a DBManager Bean(model) that does the db access stuff.

Then you can instantiate DBManager in your servlets (controller)
and interface with the Database.