Hmmm...

As someone who has had quite a lot of experience in the ASP/COM area and has
moved to JSP/Java in the last few months I suppose I will still be more
naturally biased towards the Microsoft way.

In my experience and from what I've seen in the past, I don't think either
will 'win' and the likely outcome is that both will become popular as they
both have particuarly good attributes. If you work for a company that makes
extensive use of Microsoft products - then you simply will find ASP/COM is
far more useful than JSP/Java. If you demand platform neutrality and if you
have practically anything other than Microsoft servers, then JSP/Java is the
more useful. You will probably find that two markets open as more companies
side with either product.

I really am not sure as to what the future holds for both languages - one
way I look at my potential skillset is that I can actually decide which is
the best way of solving THE PROBLEM - which is the most appropriate language
to solve the problem as opposed to how I should use my lanuage to solve the
problem. It may also mean that I am not a 'master' of either language
though, but I can live with that.

One field to look at for the short-mid term is the rise of the mobile device
- phones, PDAs, games consoles etc. My guess, for what it is worth, is that
both Microsoft and its detractors will be competing for running their
softwares and services (whatever they are likely to be) on these machines
and, possibly, will not always be running Windows, Java, Linux, Palm etc.
Maybe Java may fill this field - I believe Nokia will be using Java on their
phones, but I have also seen mobiles that will be using Windows CE such as
the Sendo one.

In the longer term, it may be that the actual OS/language becomes less of an
issue and the focus move as to how disparate systems talk to each other -
XML/SOAP etc may become more of a focus. I have worked on projects where my
COM code has pulled in XML from JSPs and displayed the output using ASP!

Finally, don't ignore Microsoft - they do hold a VERY important market
position and DO actually write some pretty cool software, and they also have
the servers, languages and full IDEs in place - and the .NET initiative is
not going to go away. But, by the same token, don't by the same token
dismiss JSP. It may be the lesser-used of the two, but it is growing in
popularity. When I started out, ASP was NOT used - Perl was the de facto
choice. Nowadays, it seems hardly anyone uses Perl for their coding and ASP
is the language of choice. One thing I have seen in computing is that
nothing ever stays the same.

Be aware of both, particuarly their pros and cons and this is probably the
most important aspect.

Just my thoughts!

Jon