"David Gee (MAYA Design)" wrote:

> yeah, it can be done with ASP because COM objects are put into the HTML
> document using the <object> tag, which is part of the DOM and can be
> manipulated as such. JavaBeans never end up as objects in the rendered HTML
> page, the <jsp:usebean> tag is processed on the server and ripped out of the
> rendered file. View source shows this to be true.  As such, the bean id is
> only accessable to JSP scripts, whereas the COM object id is accessable to
> JScript/VBScript.
> [...]

I'm no expert on ASP, but I'm pretty sure that you are confusing ASP with
Internet Explorer features here. ASP is a server-side technology, just as
JSP. Hence, a COM object created by an ASP page can not be directly
manipulated with VBScript/JScript in the browser.

As far as I can tell, the example you show is how Internet Explorer can
create a COM object (using the <object> tag) that can then be accessed
through VBScript/JScript code. All of this happens in the browser and
has really nothing to do with ASP. The Java alternative to this is to
use the <applet> tag to create an applet instance in the browser that can
then be manipulated by scripting code in the browser. The applet can
make a call to the server, using HTTP, RMI or a plain socket.

I may be wrong, of course. I have looked briefly at ASP.Net WebForms,
which is a framework that helps you link events triggered by elements
in the browser to event handling code running on the server. That seems
closer to what you're after, but to me it looks like it requires a fair
amount of "magic" behind the scenes to get this to work and I have a
feeling it only works with the combination of IE and IIS. There's a new
Java spec being developed right now, named JavaFaces. I know next to
nothing about it, but from the generic descriptions I've seem it seems
like it may be similar to WebForms but based on JSP custom actions and
likely a servlet based framework for the backend.

Hans
--
Hans Bergsten           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com